First United Methodist Church
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Making Disciples of Jesus Christ through faith, family, friends and fellowship
On December 1, 1913, $240.00 "seed money" was used to begin a Methodist Church in Freeport, Texas and Revered C. E. Clark was appointed by the Conference to be the founding pastor. On October 27, 1914, Reverend Clark received 20 members to charter and organized the Freeport Methodist Church. Of those 20, 12 transferred from the Velasco Methodist Church as an expression of support for Methodist Missions.
Led by 34 pastors (see complete list) along the way, our church has been actively involved in the Lord's ministry for nearly one hundred years. The first church was a forth foot by 50 foot rectangular frame structure located at 430 West Second Street by the Freeport Townsite Company. The sanctuary was built in 1915 and later enlarged to include a vestibule and bell tower. Active Men and Women Sunday School classes as well as Women's Missionary Society were strong ministries contributing to the growth. In 1918-1920, 141 persons joined the church. In November 1924, the initial payment for a parsonage was made by the Women's Missionary Society. Seven years later, a Sunday School Annex was built. The growth supported the creation of the new Methodist Churches in Clute, Lake Jackson and Jones Creek.
In 1947, the old church building was moved to our present location. It was a controversial and difficult decision but proved to be a positive move for the future of our church. In 1950, our sanctuary was built and seven years later, a new Education wing was completed. In 1966, more Sunday School rooms were added and our fellowship Hall was built.
In 2001, a huge renovation project was undertaken as a result of mold found in all our buildings (including the parsonage which was completely replaced with the current modern home on Brazos Landing Court.)
In 2011 the congregation, with funding from our Permanent Maintenance Endowment, replaced all the air conditioning for both the fellowship hall and sanctuary. A major part of this project was to bring the electrical portion of the physical plant up to code so the new air conditioning could be operational.
On April 7, 2013 the congregation will celebrate 100 years of blessings and ministry in and with the Freeport community. There will be a special service that Sunday morning with Bishop Janice Riggle-Huie, bishop of the Texas Annual Conference bringing the message. We will also dedicate our new youth center as a part of the day's festivities.